Elgin & Co.mpany"Strategy tells you where to go. Communication inspires people to go there with you. It's the only thing that ever does."
- Communication and tourism experts working with destinations and organisations on responsible and sustainable tourism development.
- Expertise in (online) branding, content and communication strategy for (heritage) tourism destinations, including reputation management, social PR, crisis management, storytelling and narrative techniques.
- Official Partner of the UNWTO in the 10YFP Sustainable Tourism Programme (10YFP STP).
- Photo: Conferring with (former) UNWTO Themis course director Mouad Achhab at Imire Rhino & Wildlife Conservation in Zimbabwe | © Alvaro Moreno
- Graduated in (Ancient) History and remained for several years combining roles at Utrecht University with work in tourism.
- Trained – fascinated by the opportunities new media offers – as internet developer & advisor and joined the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Congresses (NBTC) to help develop www.holland.com and many Dutch city and region websites.
- Earned (post-graduate) certificates in E-commerce and Gamification and is finalising a MSc in Corporate Communication.
- Founded Elgin & Co. in 2004 and enjoying – more than anything else – teaching and capacity building.
- Associate consultant in TEAM Tourism Consulting, an international consultancy specialising in strategic and operational planning in all aspects of destination management and marketing.
- Co-founder and organiser of the Heritage, Tourism and Hospitality, International Conference (HTHIC).
- Member of ICOMOS-Netherlands and IFITT, the International Federation for Information Technologies and Travel & Tourism.
- More information on LinkedIn.
- Elgin & Co.’s technical consultant.
- Brings in more than 20 years of experience as software architect and developer, ICT infrastructure and security specialist.
- Has been working on projects for a wide variety of governmental, public and private organisations.
- Is, when not working on IT-projects, most likely busy tasting and testing new olive oils.
- More information on LinkedIn.
- Brings in more than 20 years of experience in research into and advice on Chinese society, culture and tourism and fluency in Mandarin.
- Studied Sinology (Chinastudies) at Leiden University and The People’s University of China in Beijing.
- Worked as an editor at the Press and Publicity Department of a major Dutch tour operator before joining the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Congresses (NBTC) as a web editor and project manager for www.holland.com in general and the Chinese version in particular.
- Author of three travel books and numerous columns and articles on China and founder of consultancy Mingbai.
- Based in the Netherlands and China and enjoying living in two cultures.
- See LinkedIn for more information.
- The company we enjoy and the collaboration we very much value with the people in our global network of partners.
- The wealth of expertise and specialist skills colleagues bring to projects.
- The generosity with which friends in academia share their insights and contribute to research activities and events.
- The collaborative approach we bring to projects ensuring we optimally use the knowledge and experience of our clients and all involved.
Conferring with (former) UNWTO Themis course director Mouad Achhab at Imire Rhino & Wildlife Conservation in Zimbabwe | © Alvaro Moreno
Working with Professor Frank Go and Erik van ‘t Klooster during HTHIC2014 | © Hakan Elgin
Hakan Elgin | © Karin Elgin-Nijhuis
Inge Jansen | © Inge Jansen
Sessions at HTHIC2014 | Source: conference delegate