Elgin & Co.mpany"Strategy tells you where to go. Communication inspires people to go there with you. It's the only thing that ever does."
- Tourism and communication experts working with (heritage) destinations and organisations on responsible tourism development.
- Expertise in (online) branding, visitor experience development, content and conversation strategy for (heritage) tourism destinations, including reputation management, social PR, crisis management, storytelling and narrative techniques.
- Official Partner of the UNWTO in the One Planet – Sustainable Tourism Programme (formerly the 10YFP Sustainable Tourism Programme).
- Graduated in (Ancient) History and remained for several years combining roles at Utrecht University with work in tourism.
- Trained – fascinated by the opportunities new media offer – as internet developer & advisor and joined the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Congresses (NBTC) to help develop www.holland.com and many Dutch city and region websites.
- Earned (post-graduate) certificates in E-commerce and Gamification and is finalising a MSc in Corporate Communication.
- Founded Elgin & Co. in 2004 and enjoying – more than anything else – teaching and capacity building.
- Associate consultant in TEAM Tourism Consulting, an international consultancy specialising in strategic and operational planning in all aspects of destination management and marketing.
- Co-founder and organiser of the Heritage, Tourism and Hospitality, International Conference (HTHIC).
- Member of ICOMOS-Netherlands and IFITT, the International Federation for Information Technologies and Travel & Tourism.
- More information on LinkedIn.
- Elgin & Co.’s technical consultant.
- Brings in more than 20 years of experience as software architect and developer, ICT infrastructure and security specialist.
- Worked on projects for a wide variety of governmental, public and private organisations.
- Olive oil sommelier.
- More information on LinkedIn.
- The company we enjoy and the collaboration we very much value with the people in our global network of partners.
- The wealth of expertise and specialist skills colleagues bring to projects.
- The generosity with which friends in academia share their insights and contribute to research activities and events.
- The collaborative approach we bring to projects ensuring we optimally use the knowledge and experience of our clients and all involved.
- Brings in more than 20 years of experience in research into and advice on Chinese society, culture and tourism and fluency in Mandarin.
- Studied Sinology (Chinastudies) at Leiden University and The People’s University of China in Beijing.
- Worked as an editor at the Press and Publicity Department of a major Dutch tour operator before joining the Netherlands Board of Tourism and Congresses (NBTC) as a web editor and project manager for www.holland.com in general and the Chinese version in particular.
- Author of three travel books and numerous columns and articles on China and founder of consultancy Mingbai.
- Based in the Netherlands and China and enjoying living in two cultures.
- See LinkedIn for more information.
Conferring with (former) UNWTO Themis course director Mouad Achhab at Imire Rhino & Wildlife Conservation in Zimbabwe | © Alvaro Moreno
Working with Professor Frank Go and Erik van ‘t Klooster during HTHIC2014 | © Hakan Elgin
Hakan Elgin | © Karin Elgin-Nijhuis
Inge Jansen | © Inge Jansen
Sessions at HTHIC2014 | Source: conference delegate